OPP lays 1,500 charges during March Break distracted-driving blitz

OPP officers across the province cracked down on distracted driving over March Break, nabbing a number of drivers behaving badly behind the wheel.


READ MORE:
Driver allegedly watching a movie stopped during Leeds OPP distracted driving campaign

From March 11 to 17, officers laid a total of 1,508 charges involving drivers holding or using handheld electronic devices.

Fifty-one other charges were issued against drivers who were dividing their attention between driving and another activity, police said.

So far this year, the OPP said they have laid more than 2,000 distracted-driving charges.

WATCH: B.C. judge’s ruling could result in hundreds of distracted-driving ticket appeals

Officers are reminding drivers that penalties for distracted driving have increased since the start of the year.

The new penalties include a fine increase up to $1,000, three demerit points and a three-day licence suspension.

© 2019 Global News, a division of Corus Entertainment Inc.

You May Also Like

Top Stories